Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Big J"

People come into and out of our lives every day. Some of these people make a positive difference in our lives, some a negative difference, and some no difference at all. Likewise, I do the same with the people I come into contact with. I hope and pray that most of the time I'm making a positive impact!

I work in the Lundy-Fetterman School of Business at Campbell University where I have direct contact with many of our students. Some of these students I get to know better than others - for various reasons. Many of these students have made a positive impact on my life, and most of the time they're not even aware of it.

Julius Perkins is one of those students. I first met Julius when he was introduced to me as a basketball recruit. I was immediately drawn to him because of his fantastic smile. During the summer of '07 I tutored a group from our men's basketball team in Intro to Christianity. Julius was part of that group. He was a good student and wanted to do well in his classes. That is how I really got to know him.

Throughout the remainder of the summer and the following school year, Julius continued to drop by my office and kept me posted on how he was doing academically. I challenged him to keep up with his classes and to do his best. I know at times, especially during basketball season when they were traveling and practice seemed constant, that it would have been easier for him to just not study. However, Julius persevered and did well in his classes. Every time he stopped by my office, it made my heart smile.

Needless to say, I also enjoyed watching Julius play basketball. (We call him "Big J" when he's on the court.) He plays with an intensity that is evident on his face at all times. He never quits and always gives it his all. But, Julius did not make an impact on my life because he plays basketball. Rather, Julius made an impact on my life because of the type of person he is. I had season tickets to the games, along with my mom and dad. My sister's family did not get season tickets because they weren't sure they could make it to every game. So - Julius put the Blankenship family on his family pass for most of the home games. After every game, win or lose, Julius made sure he spoke to my family, particularly Davis (my 4-year old nephew). In February, Julius, along with Kyle Vejraska (another one of the outstanding young men from the basketball team), came to Fayetteville for Davis' birthday party! I do not know many college students who would give up their Saturday afternoon to attend a 4 year old's birthday party.

I'm writing this today because Julius came by my office this afternoon to tell me goodbye. He is leaving Campbell this Saturday and is returning to Texas. His plans are to play ball closer to home so his family will be able to see him play his senior year. After he left, I was struck with the thought that Julius had brought a lot of laughter and joy to my life and my family's life. Julius is a talented young man - both academically and athletically - and I pray that as he begins this new journey that he will continue to impact people's lives with the joy that radiates from him. I hope that he will come to fully understand the depth of love that Christ has for him. I also hope he leaves Buies Creek knowing that there are people here who believe in him and love him, just for who he is. I'm one of those people!

No comments: