Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Favorite Day

Today is Sunday, March 30th and it's my favorite day of the year. Not because of the actual date, but because of what is happening today. It's the official start of baseball season. I know the Red Sox played Oakland in Japan this past week - but that was in Japan, so I'm not really counting that as the OFFICIAL start of baseball season. Today's the day.

From the time the World Series ends in October, this is what I look forward to. Well, actually I begin counting down the time until pitchers report to Spring Training, until the remainder of the team reports, and until Spring Training games actually begin. Then I count down until the beginning of the season.

I've been a die-hard Braves fan from the early 80's. I've pulled for them through their worst days (and there were many) and celebrated as they began their reign atop the National League East from 1991 to 2005!

This season brings with it mixed emotions for me. Tonight when the Braves take the field, they will be without their longtime, outstanding centerfielder, Andruw Jones. While over the past few years he has not contributed much offensively to the team - no one can argue with his defensive skills. Jones spent twelve seasons with the Braves and after the first two years, proceeded to win ten straight Gold Glove Awards. He never fails to amaze in centerfield! I think tonight's lineup will seem odd being Andruwless.


As sad as I am to be losing Andruw, Atlanta is gaining back one of my longtime favorites: Tom Glavine. He pitched in Atlanta from 1987 until the end of the 2002 season when he signed with, of all teams, the New York Mets - ugh! This season, he is back home, in an Atlanta uniform, where I believe he belongs and will retire.


Regardless - most of you are not huge baseball fans and I promise not to write about baseball every day. This blog was started for my writing class in Divinity school and I had to begin with something - so this was it. Baseball is a huge passion of mine and I have high expectations for this season and hope to be writing about a Braves World Series in October!

5 comments:

AP said...

You make my day Kristi...I think this experience (of writing a blog) will sooth your soul.

Love you...
AP

giles blankenship said...

Great start! I like the title too, Stratton's Stance! You are quite talented to get a picture of Tom Glavin on as well. I love you!
Kelly

Megan L. said...

You are the best! I can't wait to read some more of Stratton's Stance. I agree with Kelly, very nice title!
Love ya!
Megs (as AP says it)

Tony W. Cartledge said...

Nice job, Kelli. You even used an Atlanta Braves color scheme. And, on your first blog, you've already gotten more comments than mine usually get!

Tony Cartledge

Terri Stratton said...

OK. You know I enjoyed this one as much as any since I love baseball just about as much as you, but you might want to let your professor know what your first name is. LOL LOL ROFL.