Thursday, April 24, 2008

Update on Abby

So much has gone on since my last post regarding Abby's health. She was scheduled for surgery on her ACL last week but we had to postpone that surgery, indefinitely, due to some other health problems. She developed what the doctors initally thought was something similar to vertigo in humans. Abby could barely stand up, much less walk straight. It took 3 vets to get her out of the car, and they each had to help her walk into the vet.

Well, they started her on meds for that and she pretty much needed to be either sleeping or have someone with her who could help her walk. We've been back to the vet twice since then. Her mobility and stability have gotten much better, however her eyes are continuing to roll back into her head - almost in a complete circle. It makes my head hurt just to watch. They are doing this anywhere from three to five times a minute.

Dr. Samuels is very concerned about the eye movement and some confusion that Abby seems to be exhibiting at various times. He has contacted a neurologist at State and even they are not completely sure what they are dealing with. I think right now the plan is to schedule her for an MRI and a Spinal Tap. Dr. Samuels seems to be leaning towards some sort of mass in her brain. If that's the case, we obviously do not need to do the leg surgery and I just need to figure out how to keep her most comfortable.

I'm trying to prepare myself to make a difficult decision. I cannot imagine life without Abby - but if there is a mass on her brain, I love her too much to watch her suffer. For people who love animals - pets bring a ton of joy into their lives. Abby has brought more joy into my life than I can even explain. I'm so grateful for that!

1 comment:

Terri Stratton said...

Kristi, I am so sorry to hear of Abby's health concerns. I lost a big black lab a year ago December and it's still hard. They do tend to take your heart. I will pray the vets can find out what's wrong with Abby and that it's able to be 'fixed' by medications.